Monday, November 15, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to Bring Back the Bow Tie!

Once heralded as a symbol of intelligence and class, the bow tie has more recently been thrust to the sidelines, forgotten by professionals and feared by the youth. Today, this simple, yet elegant fashion accessory stands at a crossroads: remain an ironic symbol of nonconformity before ultimately disappearing into ambiguity, or once again return to prominence within the professional world.

As we stand on the cusp of completing another decade we, the career driven youth, have the chance to embrace this under-appreciated article of clothing and thrust it prominently back into the mainstream. Join me in my venture to bring back the bow tie.  

3 comments:

  1. This is the most glorious blog I've ever seen. I'm proud to be your first follower. VIVA LA BOWTIE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to qualify your quest as "self tie" only unless you are under the age of ten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upon arriving in Atlanta, I noted many of the better dressed men in my nieghborhood were similarly attired. The uniform de rigueur a dark suit. It was never of the highest quality material, but always fitted ever so smartly. And each and everyone one of them seemed to own an endless supply of your beholden bow ties. I was as surprised as I was impressed by this conscious effort to affect a sense of style. You see, I resided in a nieghborHOOD better known as Snake Nation. My neighbors were either the aforementioned sartorially splendid men, or the homeless guys who drank the afternoons into the nights. Not having the proper build to pull off the garbage bag and brogans look, I went with the look of the former. I immediately went out and purchased two bow ties. Not being familiar with the article, I chose the ties based on aesthetics. Thus, I was never able to properly tie either of them as they were approximately 3 inches too short at thier full length. I still have them to this day. Also, I ride my bike through this same neighborhood several times a week on my way to my clinic. The styles have not changed that much over the last 15 years. The bums still sport whatever they find on the side of the road or behind the local Bus station, and the members of The Nation of Islam still sport their spiffy tie/suit combos. Presentation IS everything, especially when you are trying to finance a political movement by hawking "Hate Fruit" and "Kill Whitey Bean Pies" on every other corner in SW Atlanta. As much as I disagree with their philosophy, I still dig their rakish threads.

    ReplyDelete